Curriculum Intent for EYFS
At Willow Brook, the EYFS curriculum is designed to encourage independent, inquisitive, resilient and happy life-long learners. We recognise children’s prior learning and various starting points, and create a holistic curriculum. The curriculum maximises cross-curricular links and builds strong foundations for their future, for instance, our outdoor environment mirrors the indoor and we seek to create nature connections through weekly forest school opportunities and our teaching and learning based around the seasons.
Every child is recognised as a unique individual. We acknowledge and promote children’s interests to provide them with the opportunities to follow their imagination and creativity. We invest time into helping children to recognise their personal goals that allow them to reflect and aim high. We celebrate the differences in our school community and always strive to promote a love for learning.
We recognise that children have a thirst for new experiences, knowledge and need opportunities to engage their inquisitive minds. Therefore, we provide vibrant continuous indoor and outdoor provision. This follows children’s interests and supports our learners in investigating and developing their skills. We also aim to support the transition from EYFS to KS1 and provide children with the skills and attitude they need to succeed throughout their education and into a forever changing society.
Curriculum Intent for Years 1 – 6
‘An enquiry- based curriculum that leads to excellence.’
At Willow Brook, learning through enquiry is the golden thread of our curriculum which aims to:
- Help children confidently formulate and articulate their thoughts.
- Critically question and challenge ideas.
- Understand the processes of their own learning.
- Empower children to know their rights.
- Identify themselves within the curriculum.
- Provide a diverse and inclusive curriculum.
- Promote cultural capital and aspirations for success.
- Encourage self-belief with the ‘I am an author, scientist, mathematician’ statements.
- Holistically develop each individual child on every level.
- Uphold our curriculum vision through our three pillars; Proud Traditions, Wide Horizons and High Achievement
Through our values and ethos, a diverse curriculum of study, Philosophy for Children (P4C) approach, oracy programme and a culture as a Rights respecting school, every child is propelled to being ‘Griffin Great.’